BRITISH RAILWAYS 1920 - 1970

 

Home
LIGHT RAILWAYS
INDEPENDENT Co: A-L
NARROW GAUGE

COMPANIES

 

 

GWR Coat of Arms

 

 

 

 

This section has three main parts dealing with the railway companies before and after the grouping of 1923, and after nationalisation in 1948. The groupings of the London Passenger Transport Board and the London Transport Executive are also included. B.R. liveries are listed later. Independent companies and the narrow gauge lines absorbed at or prior to 1923 are listed in separate files. Light railways are also summarised separately .

Railway Companies (at or prior to the grouping)

The following list provides details of the major companies which retained their identities (more or less) until the Grouping. The format is as follows:

Company: principal routes; route mileage;

generalised livery of locos/ of coaches (second colour refers to the upper panels) in later years; 'austerity' liveries of the war years are generally omitted

date of inception: where there is a major difference between the dates of authorisation/formation and opening, both are given

The colour ‘lake’ was generally used to describe a brown-red

A.D.R.: Newport (Mon) area and Penrhos J.-Pontypridd (r.p. between); 10.25 + r.p.; black/dark brown; 1865

Barry R.: Barry Island-Rhondda valley/Bridgend/Barry J.(north of Caerphilly; 44.75 + r.p.; chocolate later dark lake/chocolate later dark lake; 1884 as Barry Dock & R.

B. & M.R.: In two sections linked by R.R.: Brecon-Merthyr-Deri J.;Rhymney-Bassaleg; 59.75; red, later reddish brown/purple lake, later reddish brown; 1859

B.P. & G.V.R.: Sandy Gate(L. & M.M.R.)-Burry Port-Pembrey-Cwm Mawr; 21; pale green/teak, or overall ?brown; 1865 (Light Railway Order 1909)

C.M.D.P.R.: Cleobury Mortimer(G.W.R.)-Ditton Priors Halt-(independent line to) Clee Hill quarries; 12.75; medium green/teak; 1901, open 1908

C.R.: Carlisle-Aberdeen/Edinburgh/Glasgow area/Oban/Ballachulish; 880 + r.p. + jt.; dark blue and brown(underframes) or black(f)/purple-brown and white from 1890; 1845

Cam. R.: Whitchurch (Salop)-Aberystwyth/Talyllyn J.(Brecon)/Pwllheli; 256 + r.p.; black/bronze-green, initially with white upper panels until 1909; 1864

Car.R.: Bute Docks area, Cardiff and Heath J.-Treforest (r.p. between); 11.75; black/dark red and white, or teak; 1897

C.L.C.: Manchester-Liverpool-Southport/Chester; G.C., G.N. and M.R. joint lines; 142; -/oak-brown (varnished teak); 1865

C.V. & H.R.: Chappel(G.E.R.)-Haverhill; 19 + r.p.; black/teak; 1856

C.W.J.: Cleator Moor(W.C. & E.)-Siddick J.(L.N.W.R.) and Distington-Rowrah; 30.5; **/lake and white; 1876

E. & W.Y.U.: Stourton J.(M.R.)-Lofthouse North J.(G.N.) + branch to Rough Greenhow; black/hired M.R. stock; 9.25+mineral branches; 1883

F.R.: Carnforth-Whitehaven/Coniston/Windermere Lakeside; 115 + r.p. + jt; brown-red/blue and white from 1897, latterly all blue; 1844

F.Y. & N.R.: Newport-Freshwater; 12; mid-green or L.S.W.R. green/teak; 1880

G.C.: Marylebone-Sheffield/Manchester/Grimsby area; c630 + r.p. + jt; dark bluish green and brown(underframes) or black(f)/chocolate and cream from 1903, teak from 1908; 1897 (ex-M.S. & L.R. formed 1847)

G.E.R.: Liverpool St/Fenchurch St-East Anglia with jt. line from March-Doncaster; 1050 + jt; dark blue, latterly greenish grey, black(f)/teak or chocolate, postwar red; 1862

G. & K.E.R.: Garstang(L.N.W.R.)-Pilling-Knott End; 11.5; red from 1897/brown, later red; authorised 1864, fully open 1908

G.N.: King's Cross-Grantham-Shaftholme J.(Doncaster)/Derby/Lincolnshire; c700 + jt; green and brown(underframes) or grey(f)/teak; 1846

G.N.S.R.: Aberdeen-Elgin/Boat of Garten/Ballater and north-east Scotland; 334.5; green, later black from 1916/teak, purple-brown from 1883, with white upper panels from 1896; inc. 1846, opened 1854

G. & S.W.R.: Glasgow(St Enoch)-Ayr-Gretna and south-west Scotland; c450 + jt; bright mid-green/dark green later M.R. lake; 1850

G.V.R.: Kidwelly J.-Mynydd y Garreg; 3; worked by B.P. & G.V.R. from 1876-1905/f only; 1866

G.W.R.: Paddington-Thames valley area-Bristol/Exeter-Penzance/Cardiff-Fishguard Harbour/Shrewsbury-Chester/Dolgelley; 3005 inc. jt; green/chocolate, chocolate and cream(1864), chocolate(1909), red(1912), chocolate and cream(1922), some brown in war; 1835

H. & B.R.: Hull-South Yorks coalfield; 79.5 + r.p.+ jt; black/teak; 1880 as Hull, Barnsley & W Riding Junction R & Dock Co until 1905

H.R.: Inverness-Stanley J.(Perth)/Keith/Caithness/Kyle of Lochalsh; 506 + r.p.; two-tone green, dark olive-green from 1898/green and white, later dark green; 1865

I.O.W.C.R.: Newport-Cowes/Smallbrook J./Merstone-Sandown/Ventnor Town; 28.5; lake, black after 1910/teak or mahogany; 1887 (after amalgamation)

I.O.W.R.: Ryde-Ventnor and Bembridge branch; 15.25; lake/teak; 1860

L.B.S.C.R.: Victoria/London Bridge-Brighton and Sussex area; 431 + r.p. + jt; dark green, later umber or olive-green(f)/red-brown, later umber, some with white upper panels; 1846

L. & M.M.R.: Llanelly-Cross Hands; 13; ****/(hired stock); 1875, open 1883

L.N.W.R.: Euston-West Midlands-Crewe-Holyhead/Liverpool/Manchester/Carlisle/Leeds with r.p. to South and Mid-Wales; c1806 + r.p. + jt; dark green(1862), black(1873)/chocolate and white; 1846

L.S.W.R.: Waterloo-Southampton-Dorchester and Basingstoke-Exeter-North Devon/Plymouth, west Surrey and Hants areas; 966 + r.p. + jt; pale green from 1885, dark green (f)/chocolate and terra cotta, later green; 1839

L.T.S.: Fenchurch St(G.E.R.)-Tilbury-Thameshaven and to Southend; 79.25 + r.p.; apple green/teak; abs. by the M.R. in 1912, locos then lake; 1862

L.Y.R.: Liverpool-Preston/Wigan-Hellifield/Manchester-Rochdale-Dewsbury-Barnsley; 533 + r.p. + jt; black/chocolate and terra cotta; 1847

M. & C.: Carlisle-Maryport/Brigham; 42 + r.p.; dark green/teak, dark green and cream from 1905; authorised 1837, fully open 1845

Met. R.: South Kensington-Paddington-Farringdon St-Aldgate (part of the Inner Circle) and Baker St-Aylesbury (part jt. with G.C.); 78; green, later (M.R.) lake/variously teak or teak and cream; 1863

M. & G.N.: Melton Constable-Sutton Bridge-Little Bytham J./Peterborough and to Cromer Beach/Yarmouth-Gorleston North/Norwich City; 183; yellow-brown/teak; 1893

M.R.: St Pancras-Derby and the Midlands-Bristol/Manchester/Leeds-Heysham Harbour/Carlisle/Swansea:using some r.p.; 1497 (in 1912) + r.p. + jt (excluding Irish lines); green, lake(1883), and black(f)/lake; 1844

M.S.L.R.: Haughley-Laxfield(-Cratfield, closed 1912); 21; lake/lake; 1900, open 1904

M.S.W.J.R.: Red Post J.(Andover, L.S.W.R.)-Andoversford(G.W.R.) with branch to Tidworth; 60.5 + 2.5 (operation of Tidworth branch) + r.p.; lake/brown and cream, later lake; 1884

N. & B.R.: Brecon-Neath/Ynys-y-Geinon J.(M.R.); 40; red/brown initially with cream upper panels, or teak; 1863

N.B.R.: Edinburgh-Berwick/Hexham/Carlisle, and Glasgow-Scottish Lowlands/Mallaig/Fort Augustus; 1241 + r.p. + jt; variously olive-green or pale brown, black(f) after 1914/lake; 1844

N.E.R.: Newcastle-Berwick/Carlisle/Darlington-Tebay/Northallerton-Hawes/Leeds/Shaftholme J.(Doncaster) and north-east coastal area; 1734 + r.p. + jt; yellowish green or black(f)/lake, or teak (ex-E.C.J.S.); 1854

N.L.: Broad Street-Camden/West India Docks; 12 owned; black, green before 1885/teak; merged with L.N.W.R. in 1909; 1853

N.S.: Stoke-Crewe/Sandbach/Macclesfield/Burton-on-Trent/Colwich (L.N.W.R.)/Market Drayton: 206 excluding Leek & Manifold V.L.R.; lake/lake from 1896; 1846

P.D.S.W.R.: Devonport-Lydford and Bere Alston-Callington; 22.5 + 9.75, the former worked by L.S.W.R.; dark olive-green/dark green; 1883

P.T.R.: Port Talbot-Pontyrhyll J.(G.W.R.)/Cefn J.(G.W.R.) and Duffryn J.-Tonmawr(S.W.M.R.)/Aberavon Town(R. & S.B.R.); 35; as Barry R./green and white; 1894

R.R.: Cardiff Docks-Rhymney/Deri J./Senghenydd; 51; dark green with brown (later black) underframes/maroon from 1907, initially with white upper panels; 1854

R. & S.B.R.: Treherbert(T.V.R.)-Port Talbot (including docks branch) -Neath/Swansea; 31 + r.p.; black/red-brown; 1882

S.D.J.: Bath Green Park-Wimborne/Broadstone(L.S.W.R.) and Evercreech J.-Burnham-on-Sea with branches; 104 + r.p.; M.R. colours initially, blue from 1886, black from 1929/blue from 1886; 1862

S.E.C.R.(Cos Jt. Management Committee): Victoria/Charing Cross/Cannon St -Kent area/Hastings/Guildford(L.S.W.R.); 625 + r.p.; green, later dark grey from 1916/lake, later maroon from 1911, later umber brown from 1916; 1899 (formed to manage L.C.D.R. and S.E.R.)

S.M.J.: Towcester-Blisworth/Ravenstone Wood J.(M.R.)/Cockley Brake J.(L.N.W.R.)/Stratford-on-Avon-Broom(M.R.); 68 + r.p.; black, lake from 1915/lake and cream, later lake; 1909

S.W.M.R.: Briton Ferry(G.W.R., R. & S.B.R.)-Glyn Corrwg + mineral branches; 13; worked by P.T.R. from 1908/no livery; 1853

T.V.R.: Pontypridd-Cardiff Docks/Cadoxton(Barry)/Treherbert/Maerdy/Aberdare/Merthyr; 124 + r.p. + jt.; latterly black/chocolate and white, some overall chocolate; 1836, open 1840

Wirral: Birkenhead area; black/dark lake; 14; 1891, electrified 1938

Railway Companies at the Grouping

Lines which retained their joint ownership are listed in  later (post-Nationalisation) sections.

The route mileage and livery is shown at the end of each sub-section.

Great Western Railway (G.W.R.)

Absorbed companies:

A.D.R., B. & M.R., B.P. & G.V.R., Barry, Cam.R., Car.R., C.M.D.P.R., G.V.R., L. & M.M.R., M.S.W.J.R., N. & B.R., P. & M., P.T.R., R.R. R. & S.B.R., S.H.T., T.V.R.

3671 + jt; locos: Brunswick green or chrome green (wartime: black); coaches: chocolate and cream (wartime: some overall brown)

In addition to the above, the G.W.R. absorbed the following lines which were originally leased to or worked by component companies, shown in brackets:

(Barry R.)

Vale of Glamorgan (Barry-Coity J./Bridgend): 20.75mi

(Cam. R.)

Mawddwy Light (Cemmes Road-Dinas Mawddwy): 6.75mi

Tanat Valley (Blodwell J.-Llangynog): 16mi (owned by Cam. R. from 1921)

Van (Caersws-Van Garth Road): 6.75mi

Welshpool & Llanfair Light: 9mi

Wrexham & Ellesmere: 12.75mi

(G.W.R.)

Didcot, Newbury & Southampton: 42.75mi

Exeter (Ashton-Exeter St Thomas): 8.75mi

Forest of Dean Central (Awre J.-Howbeach Colliery): 5mi

Lampeter, Aberayron & New Quay Light: 12mi

Liskeard & Looe: 9mi

Princetown (Yelverton-Princetown): 10.5mi

Ross & Monmouth: 12.5mi

South Wales Mineral (S.W.M.R.): 13mi

Teign Valley (Heathfield-Ashton): 7.75mi

West Somerset (Norton Fitzwarren-Watchet): 14.5mi

(G.W.R. and R.R. joint)

Quakers Yard & Merthyr: 6mi

Taff Bargoed (Taff Bargoed J.-Cae Harris): 11mi

(T.V.R.)

Penarth Extension: 1.25mi

Penarth Harbour, Docks & Railway: 9.25mi

 

London Midland and Scottish Railway (L.M.S.)

Absorbed companies:

C.R., C.W.J., F.R., G. & K.E.R., G. & S.W.R., H.R., L.N.W.R., L.T.S.(part of M.R. from 1912), L.Y.R.(merged with L.N.W.R. in 1922), M. & C., M.R., N.L.(merged with L.N.W.R. in 1909), N.S., S.M.J.,

Wirral

6845 + 450jt; locos: lake or black; coaches: lake, maroon in wartime; special liveries: 'Coronation Scot', blue with white lines, in 1939 lake with gold lines

In addition to the above, the L.M.S. absorbed the following lines which were originally leased to or worked by component companies, shown in brackets:

(C.R.)

Arbroath & Forfar: 14.75mi

Brechin & Edzell District: 5.75mi

Callander & Oban: 99.75mi

Cathcart District (Pollokshields E-Cathcart-Muirhouses J) 5.5mi

Dundee & Newtyle: 14.5mi

Killin (Killin J.-Loch Tay): 5mi

Lanarkshire & Ayrshire (Ardrossan-Lyon Cross J. and branches): 36.25mi

Solway Junction (Kirtlebridge-Kirkbride and Abbey-Brayton): 17.5mi

(C.R. and G. & S.W.R.)

Glasgow, Barrhead & Kilmarnock: 29.75mi

Glasgow & Paisley: 14.25mi

(C.R., G. & S.W.R., L.N.W.R. and M.R.)

Portpatrick & Wigtownshire Joint (Castle Douglas-Portpatrick and Newton Stewart-Whithorn): 82.25mi

(C.R. and L.N.W.R)

Carlisle Citadel: -(F.R. and M.R.)

Furness & Midland (Wennington-Carnforth): 9.75mi

(Furness & L.N.W.R.)

Whitehaven, Cleator & Egremont: 35mi

(H.R.)

Dornoch Light (The Mound-Dornoch): 7.75mi

Wick & Lybster Light: 13.75mi

(L.N.W.R.)

Charnwood Forest (Coalville-Loughborough Derby Road): 10.5mi

Harborne (Harborne J., Birmingham-Harborne): 2.5mi

Mold & Denbigh Junction: 15.75mi

(L.N.W.R. and G.W.R. in part)

Shropshire Union Railways & Canal (partner in Shrewsbury-Wellington-Stafford): 29.25mi (part became G.W.R./L.M.S. joint)

(L.N.W.R. and L.Y.R.)

Lancashire Union (Boar's Head-White Bear and Chorley-Cherry Tree): 12.75mi

North Union (Euxton J.-Preston): 6.5mi

Preston & Longridge: 8mi

Preston & Wyre (Preston-Fleetwood and Blackpool area): 46mi

(L.N.W.R. and M.R.)

Ashby & Nuneaton: 29.25mi

Enderby (Narborough-Enderby quarries): 2.75mi

(L.N.W.R., M.R. and N.L.)

North & South Western Junction (Old J.-Hammersmith & Chiswick/Willesden J.): 5.25mi

(L.N.W.R. and N.E.R.)

Cockermouth, Keswick & Penrith: 31.25mi

(L.Y.R.)

Dearne Valley (Brierley J.-Black Carr Js.): 21mi

(M.R.)

Tottenham & Forest Gate (S Tottenham-Woodgrange Park): 6mi

Yorkshire Dales (Embsay J.-Grassington & Threshfield): 8.75mi

(N.S.)

Leek & Manifold: 8.25mi

London and North Eastern Railway (L.N.E.R.)

Absorbed companies:

C.V. & H.R., E. & W.Y.U., G.C., G.E.R., G.N., G.N.S.R., M.S.L.R., N.B.R., N.E.R.

6327 + c400jt; locos: apple green or black (Garter blue for top link from 1937); coaches: teak (apple green and cream for some stock including tourist stock from 1933), some dark grey in wartime. Tyneside electric stock red/cream, dark blue/pale blue from 1941. Special liveries: 'Silver Jubilee', silver; 'Coronation' and 'West Riding Limited', Garter blue with pale blue upper panels

In addition to the above, the L.N.E.R. absorbed the following lines which were originally leased to or worked by component companies, shown in brackets:

(G.C.)

Humber Commercial Railway & Dock

Mansfield (Kirby-in-Ashfield-Clipstone J.): 11mi

North Lindsey Light (near Frodingham & Scunthorpe-Whitton): 11mi

Seaforth & Sefton Junction: -

Sheffield District (Treeton J.-Brightside J. and Grimesthorpe J.-Attercliffe: 4.25mi

(G.C. and G.N.)

Nottingham Joint Station Committee: -

West Riding (& Grimsby) Railway Committee (Wakefield-Applehurst J. and Adwick J.-Doncaster): 32.5mi

(G.E.R.)

Kelvedon, Tiptree & Tollesbury Pier Light: 9.75mi

London & Blackwall (Fenchurch St-Stepney-Blackwall/Bow J.): 6mi

(G.N.)

East Lincolnshire (Grimsby-Boston): 47.5mi

Horncastle (Woodhall J.-Horncastle): 7.5mi

Nottingham & Grantham Railway & Canal (Nottingham London Road-Grantham): 23mi

Nottingham Suburban (Trent Lane East J., near Nottingham Racecourse-Daybrook): 3.5mi

Stamford & Essendine: 4mi

(G.N. and G.E.)

G.N. and G.E. Joint (Huntingdon-St Ives, St Ives-March, March-Spalding, Spalding-Lincoln, Lincoln-Black Carr J., Doncaster, Ramsey-Somersham): 123mi

(H. & B.R. and G.C.)

H. & B. and G.C. Joint (Gowdall-Braithwell and branches): 25.75mi

(N.B.R.)

Edinburgh & Bathgate: 10.25mi

Forth & Clyde Junction (Forth & Clyde J., Balloch-Stirling): 30.5mi

Gifford & Garvald (Ormiston J.-Gifford): 9.25mi

Lauder Light (Fountainhall J.-Lauder): 10.5mi

Newburgh & North Fife (Glenburnie J.-St Andrews J./St Fort): 13.5mi

(N.B.R. & C.R.)

Kilsyth & Bonnybridge: 8.5mi

(N.E.R.)

Brackenhill Light (Brackenhill J.-Hemsworth colliery)-nominally independent line: 3.25mi

Forcett (Forcett J.-Forcett Depot and quarry): 5.5mi

Great North of England, Clarence & Hartlepool Junction (Wingate-Ferryhill): 6.75mi

South Yorkshire Junction (Wrangbrook J.-Denaby and Conisborough: ex-H. & B.R.): 11.5mi

Southern Railway (S.R.)

Absorbed companies:

F.Y. & N.R., I.O.W.C.R., I.O.W.R., L. & B.R., L.B.S.C.R., L.S.W.R., P.D.S.W.R.(part), S.E.C.R.

2178; locos: sage green, later pale olive-green, later malachite green or black; coaches: olive-green, later pale olive-green, later malachite green for some stock, blue-green for electric stock

In addition to the above, the S.R. absorbed the following lines which were originally leased to or worked by component companies, shown in brackets:

(L.B.S.C.R.)

Brighton & Dyke (Dyke J.-Dyke): 3.5mi

Hayling (Havant-Hayling Island): 4.5mi

(L.B.S.C.R. and L.S.W.R.)

Epsom & Leatherhead: 3.75mi

Portsmouth & Ryde (Cosham J.-Portsmouth Harbour, Fratton-East Southsea and Ryde Pier Head-Ryde St Johns Road): 8.5mi

Tooting, Merton & Wimbledon (Streatham J.-Wimbledon via Merton Abbey and Haydons Road): 5.75mi

(L.B.S.C.R. and S.E.C.R.)

Croydon & Oxted: 12.5mi

Woodside & South Croydon: 2.5mi

(L.B.S.C.R., S.E.C.R. and G.W.R.)

Victoria Station & Pimlico: 1mi

(L.S.W.R.)

Bridg(e)water (Edington J.-Bridgwater), worked as part of S.D.J.: 7.25mi

Lee-on-the-Solent Light (Fort Brockhurst-Lee-on-the-Solent): 3mi

North Cornwall (Halwill J.-Wadebridge): 25.5mi

Plymouth & Dartmoor (part) (Cattewater and Turnchapel branches): 2.5mi

P.D.S.W.R. (part) (Lydford-Devonport): 22.5mi

Sidmouth (Sidmouth J.-Sidmouth): 8.25mi

(S.E.C.R.)

London & Greenwich (London Bridge-Greenwich): 3.75mi

Mid-Kent (Bromley-St Mary Cray): 2.5mi

 

London Passenger Transport Board, formed 1933

By amalgamation of:

Metropolitan Railway

Metropolitan District Railway

Central London Railway

Bakerloo and Watford Extension Railway

City and South London Railway

Great Northern and City Railway

Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway

The board was restyled the London Transport Executive in 1948, and subsequently the London Transport Board in 1963

Railway companies at Nationalisation

At Nationalisation in 1948, the system was divided into six regions largely based on the former company boundaries, save that the Scottish Region comprised all those lines north of the border and the remainder of the L.N.E.R. was split into Eastern and North Eastern regions, the latter being that company’s North-Eastern area. The L.T.S. was transferred to the Eastern Region in 1949.

In 1950 the former G.C. was redistributed between the Eastern, Western, and London Midland regions. The Southern Region lines west of Exeter were transferred to the Western Region (later restored in 1958) and Western Region lines south of Castle Cary to the Southern Region. London Midland Region lines south-west of Birmingham were transferred to the Western Region. Subsequently further boundary changes took place.

The route mileage in 1948 is shown against each region. Where joint administrations had continued from the grouping, the earlier companies are indicated in brackets, with mileages at the grouping, for further information.

1 London Midland Region (L.M.R.): 4993

abs.: Mersey Railway Company

C.L.C. (143mi)

and various joint administrations as follows:

Southport & Cheshire Lines Extension R. (C.L.C.): 15mi

Manchester, South Junction & Altrincham R. (G.C., L.N.W.R.): 9.5mi

Oldham, Ashton-under-Lyne & Guide Bridge Junction (G.C., L.N.W.R.): 6.25mi

G.C. & N.S. Railway Cttee (Macclesfield, Bollington & Marple): 10.5mi

G.C. & North Western Railways Joint Cttee (Stalybridge)

Mid-Nottinghamshire Joint Railway Cttee (Farnsfield-Ollerton): authorised 1926

Otley & Ilkley Joint Line Cttee (M.R., N.E.R.): 6.25mi

Birkenhead Railway Company and Birkenhead Joint (G.W.R., L.N.W.R.): 56.5mi

G.C. & Midland Joint Cttee (Lessors)-Lancashire lines (Widnes loop off the C.L.C. line, Manchester-Stockport): 40.25mi

Tottenham & Hampstead Joint Cttee (G.E.R., M.R.) (Fenchurch St-Highgate Road): 5.75mi

2 Western Region (W.R.): 3782

abs. Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Light Railway Company (subject to W.D. possession)

and various joint administrations as follows:

Shropshire Railways Company (Nantmawr branch)

Easton & Church Hope Railway Company (G.W.R., L.S.W.R.): 3.5mi

Weymouth & Portland Railway Company (G.W.R., L.S.W.R.): 5.5mi

West London Extension Railway Company (G.W.R., L.B.S.C.R., L.N.W.R., L.S.W.R.) (Kensington-Clapham J.): 5.25mi

G.W. & G.C. Railways Joint Cttee (Lessors): ditto (Lessees): 41mi

L.M.S. & G.W. Railways Joint Cttee (Severn & Wye and Severn Bridge R.): 39mi

G.W. & G.C. (Banbury Junction Railway) Joint Cttee

L.M.S. & G.W. Railways Joint Cttee including B. & M.R. and L.N.W.R. joint (Morlais J.-Merthyr): 6mi; Brynmawr & Western Valleys (Brynmawr-Nantyglo): 1.1mi; Clifton Extension (Avonmouth-Ashley Hill J.: strictly Sneyd Park J.-Ashley Hill J.): 9mi; Halesowen: 6mi; Rhymney Joint: 3mi; Shrewsbury, etc. Joint Lines(-Hereford/Wellington /Welshpool); Vale of Towy (Llandovery-Llandilo): 11mi; Wrexham & Minera: 3mi

Shrewsbury & Hereford Railway Company (G.W.R., L.N.W.R.): 51mi; also Ludlow & Clee Hill: 6mi

Tenbury Railway Company (G.W.R., L.N.W.R.) (Tenbury-Woofferton): 5.25mi

West Cornwall Railway Company (Hayle wharf) (formal dissolution)

West London Railway Company (G.W.R., L.N.W.R.): 2.25mi

3 Southern Region (S.Region): 2250

abs. East Kent Light Railways Company

Kent & East Sussex Light Railway Company

and various joint administrations as follows:

North Devon & Cornwall Junction Light Railway Company (Halwill J-Torrington): see also Marland Light R.

Somerset & Dorset Joint Cttee (L.S.W.R., M.R.)

4 Eastern Region (E.R.): 2836

various joint administrations as follows:

King's Lynn Dock and Railway Company

G.C., H. & B. and Midland Cttee: Doncaster area: 4mi

Methley Railway Joint Cttee (G.N., L.Y.R., N.E.R.) (Lofthouse & Outwood-Methley): 6mi

M. & G.N. Railways Joint Cttee

Norfolk & Suffolk Joint Railways Cttee (G.E.R., M. & G.N.)(West Runton-North Walsham, Yarmouth-Lowestoft): 22.25mi

South Yorkshire Joint Line Cttee (G.C., G.N., L.Y.R., M.R., N.E.R.)(Kirk Sandal J.-Dinnington J.): 20.5mi

G.N. & L.N.W. Joint Cttee (Hallaton-Bottesford-Bingham): 45mi

Halifax & Ovenden Joint Cttee (G.N., L.Y.R.): 2.5mi

Halifax High Level Joint Cttee (G.N., L.Y.R.): 3mi

G.C. & Midland Joint Cttee (Lessees)-Yorkshire Lines (lines at Doncaster)

5 North Eastern Region (N.E.Region): 1823

various joint administrations as follows:

Axholme Joint Railway Cttee (L.Y.R., N.E.R.): 27.75mi

Midland and North Eastern Railway Companies Cttee (Swinton & Knottingley): 19.5mi

6 Scottish Region (Sc.R.): 3730

various joint administrations as follows:

Forth Bridge Railway Company (G.N., M.R., N.B.R., N.E.R.): 4.25mi

Dumbarton & Balloch Joint Railway (C.R., N.B.R.): 7mi

Dundee & Arbroath Joint Railway (C.R., N.B.R.): 23mi

Grangemouth Branch Railway

Princes Dock Branch Joint Railway (C.R., G. & S.W.R., N.B.R.): 1.25mi

The London Transport Executive took over responsibility for the following lines:

Metropolitan & G.C. Joint Line from Harrow-on-the-Hill to south of Aylesbury Station, including the Chesham Branch and the Watford Joint Line from Moor Park to Watford.

Ealing & Shepherds Bush Line and the section of the G.W.R. which formed part of the Western Extension of the Central Line to Greenford.

The sections of the L.N.E.R. which formed part of the Eastern Extension of the Central Line.

The L.N.E.R. lines from East Finchley to High Barnet and Mill Hill East, already worked by Northern Line trains of London Transport.

East London Railway between Shoreditch, New Cross and New Cross Gate (G.E.R., L.B.S.C.R., Met. R., Metropolitan District, S.E.C.R.)

Hammersmith & City Line: Hammersmith to Westbourne Park (G.W.R., Met.R.)

Whitechapel & Bow Railway between Whitechapel and Bow Road (L.T.S., Metropolitan District)

 

B.R. Liveries

Late in 1948, the B.R. totem, of a lion astride a wheel (not an heraldic device), replaced the previous 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' applied to locomotive tender and tank sides. The lion always faced the front of the engine.

B.R.liveries introduced in 1950:

Top link locos: Garter blue, phased out 1951-3

Express locos: Brunswick green, with black and orange lining

Mixed traffic locos: black, with red, cream and grey lining

Freight locos: unlined black

Diesel locos: black with aluminium lining and bogie frames

Coaching stock: lined carmine and cream for gangwayed stock

        :unlined carmine for non-gangwayed stock

        :malachite green for electric stock,

        :umber and cream retained for Pullman stock

1954: Diesel multiple units were introduced in Brunswick green with yellow lining

1956: new liveries

A new heraldic locomotive emblem of demi-lion rampant (June)

L.M.R. 'Duchess' Class locos were repainted maroon

Mainline diesel and electric locos: Brunswick green

Gangwayed coaching stock on S.Region: malachite green

on W.R. named trains: chocolate and cream

others: maroon with black and yellow lining

Non-gangwayed stock on S.Region: malachite green

others: carmine retained

1959: New electric locos for the Euston-Glasgow (West Coast) main line were liveried in pale 'electric blue' (E3001 et seq)

1960: New diesel-electric Pullman units were in medium (Nanking) blue

E.M.U.s for the newly electrified Glasgow suburban service were liveried in blue

Diagonal yellow and black 'high visibility' lining was applied to the ends of diesel shunters

1962: 'Western' Class diesels (D1000 series) were painted maroon after an earlier experiment with options of 'sand', green or maroon

Two-tone olive green and pale green was applied to some diesel classes

First class coach accommodation was marked with a four-inch yellow band, applied immediately below roof level

The chocolate and cream livery on W.R. named trains was phased out

1965: British Railways adopted monastral blue and pearl grey, set off by flame red, as new British Rail 'house' colours, together with a double-arrow logo. The blue and grey livery had been applied in 1964 to a train which included prototype 'XP64' coaches and an overall blue livery to the train loco, D1733. In late 1965, blue and grey was applied to new main-line coaching stock and existing restaurant cars. An overall blue livery was used on new suburban E.M.U. stock for the Euston electrification. By late 1966, the new liveries were being applied generally to all types of coaching stock, diesel and electric locos as repaints became due.

1967: W.R. diesel-electric Pullman units were repainted in grey with a band of blue for the depth of the windows (in common with loco-hauled Pullman cars as introduced in 1966).

Home LIGHT RAILWAYS INDEPENDENT Co: A-L NARROW GAUGE

 

COPYRIGHT © R.D.LAKE 2009