BRITISH RAILWAYS 1920 - 1970
LOCOMOTIVE STOCK RETURNS, RAILCARS AND TENDERS
For steam locomotives:
It is unclear if each figure for the grouping includes or excludes departmental service locomotives and railmotors, etc.
The later figures exclude such examples and also the War Dept. locomotives which were on loan to the various companies (in 1948).
The respective grand totals are: 24 006, 20 026 and 13 321. The latter reduction was balanced by 2479 diesel and 131 electric locomotives, and also by 3791 diesel multiple units. There were 6418 electric multiple units in service in 1960.
A number of companies introduced limited numbers of rigid framed or articulated steam railcars in the 1900s typically with 0-4-0T or 2-2-0T drive units. They were generally numbered separately from the locomotives, so it is more convenient to mention these together in a separate section here. The companies included the A.D.R., Barry R., Car. R., F.R., G.C., G.N., G.N.S.R., G. & S.W.R., I.O.W.C.R., L.B.S.C.R., L.N.W.R., L.S.W.R., L.S.W.R./L.B.S.C.R. joint, L.Y.R., M.R., N.S., P.T.R., R.R., S.E.C.R., T.V.R. Few of the railcars lasted until 1920. In a number of cases the carriage portions later were converted to trailer cars.
The G.C. cars (1-3) were taken out of stock in 1921.
The L.N.W.R. examples (1-7) were soon renumbered 5501-7 and the L.M.S. numbered these in the coaching stock list as 10694-10700: one railmotor (10698) became 29988 in 1933 and lasted until 1948.
Those of the L.Y.R. (1-18, with 17 carriage portions) became 10600-17 non-sequentially at the grouping: 10617 was allocated B.R. number 50617 in 1948, but never carried it.
The M.R. units (M1, M2) were survived into the grouping by their coach portions as ‘saloons’ (2233/4).
The N.S. railmotors (1-3) ran until 1922 and were withdrawn in 1927.
The P.T.R. had a single railmotor (1), unusually with a six-coupled traction unit, which was sold in 1920, and finally ceased work with the Port of London Authority in 1926.
The R.R. locomotive portions (1, 2) were converted to 0-6-0WTs in 1910 (as 120, 121) to become G.W.R. numbers 661, 662.
The S.E.C.R. railmotors (1-8) were all out of use in 1920 and were finally withdrawn in 1924.
The railmotor fulfilled a more successful role on the G.W.R., for both suburban and branch line use. These were introduced from 1903. Numbering 99 units originally, 65 (coach numbers 16--99) were still in use in 1922 and numbers 37, 55, 65, 70, 71, 76, 88, 91, 92, 97 and 98 survived until 1935. Another example (no. 15) sold to the Nidd Valley Light Railway in 1921 survived until the closure of that line in 1936. The locomotive units were numbered 0801-0912.
In the 1920s, there was renewed interest in the use of railcars by the other major companies.
Sentinel railcars were introduced by the L.M.S. and L.N.E.R. in 1925. Those of the former company were numbered 29900-29913 and lasted until 1939. One additional unit (number 44, later designated 29987 - not carried) was used on the Axholme Joint R. This was taken into L.N.E.R. stock as 51915 in 1934 and withdrawn in 1944.
The C.L.C. introduced four units in 1929, numbered 600-3, which were finally withdrawn in 1944.
The L.N.E.R. used both Sentinel and Clayton railcars. The final numbers of these 91 units and the Axholme example were as follows: 21--39, 210--314, 2101, 2110--2291, 31073, 43301-7, 51908--51915. Number 2291 was a twin engine, twin articulated unit. All but 43306, 43307 and 51915 carried names. Number 2316 was the last example to be withdrawn in 1948.
The S.R. introduced a Sentinel railcar (number 6) in 1933 which ran in service until 1937. [In the S.R. numbering system numbers 1-4 were Ryde Pier Tramway, Drewry petrol railcars and their trailers, and number 5 was also a Drewry petrol railcar used on the mainland (1927-1934, sold to W.C. & P.R.)]
The Jersey Railway also had four 3’6"-gauge Sentinel railcars, which were introduced from 1923 and ran until the closure of the line.
The Jersey Eastern Railway introduced two Sentinel railcars in 1927. When the line closed in 1929, one unit was sold to the Jersey Railway and converted to the narrower gauge.
Diesel (and petrol) railcars (1920-50)
In 1933-4, the L.N.E.R. took into stock three Armstrong-Whitworth diesel-electric railcars, two of which had been operating since 1931-2. These were numbered 25, 224, and 232 and named. A further unnamed example was taken into stock in 1934 from the same manufacturer and numbered 294. All were withdrawn in 1939.
The F.Y.& N.R. purchased a small open-sided petrol railcar in 1913, which became a service vehicle in S.R. days. (See also mention of the Drewry railcars above.)
In 1932, both the L.M.S. and S.R. tested a rubber-tyred railcar, ‘La Micheline’.
In 1933, the L.M.S. introduced three Leyland 4-wheel diesel railcars, numbered 29950-2, and these lasted until 1951. A dual purpose road and rail vehicle, the Karrier ‘Ro-Railer’, based on a single deck motor bus, was run on the S.M.J. in 1934; this lacked a railway running number. The three cars of a diesel articulated set, introduced in 1938, were numbered 80000-2. This set remained out of use during the war and was later converted into a two-car maintenance unit.
The G.W.R. introduced the first of its AEC streamlined diesel railcars in 1933. By 1941, 38 of these had been produced and the last was withdrawn in 1962. Of these, numbers 17 and 34 were parcels cars and 35-38 formed two twin railcars.
TENDERS OF THE MAJOR GROUPS AND B.R.
The following notes are intended only as a general guide. Considerable design modifications and interchanges of tenders between locomotives took place over time.
Latterly, the G.W.R. used seven types of 6-wheel tenders. It should be noted that the capacity shown may be misleading, depending on the presence or absence of a well tank of approximately 500 gallon capacity, in Churchward and early Collett patterns.
Churchward 3000 gallon (5 ton of coal)
Churchward 3500 gallon (6 ton), standard on that designer’s principal locomotives.
Intermediate 3500 gallon (6 ton), used on early Class 4073 and heavy freight locomotives.
Collett 4000 gallon (6 ton), standard for most larger passenger locomotives.
Collett 3500 gallon (6 ton), produced for new locomotives from the late 1930s.
Hawksworth 4000 gallon (7 ton), introduced with the Class 1000 and used in post-war construction.
The ROD 4000-gallon tender (7 ton), of G.C. design was latterly coupled largely to some Class 2600 engines.
Additionally two 8-wheel tenders were built. That for ‘The Great Bear’ (111), of 3500 gallons and with bogies, was latterly coupled to locomotives of classes 2900, 4000 and others. The other example, of 4000 gallons and with eight rigid wheels, was fitted to various Class 4073 engines.
The S.R. tenders of Maunsell design were of three types, all of 5-ton capacity:
3500 gallon (classes L1, Q, sometime with Class N15 (793-806))
4000 gallon (classes U1, V, sometime with Class N15 (763-767))
5000 gallon, 8-wheel (Class LN, sometime with Class N15 (768-772))
The 5-ton tenders of Bulleid were of 4500 or 5500 gallon capacity for both original and rebuilt WC/BB locomotives. The MN Class engines originally had capacities of 5000, 5100 and 6000 gallons. As rebuilt, some were of 5250 gallons. The Q1 Class was fitted with 3700-gallon tenders.
The L.M.S. standardised tenders into two groups, the ‘Old Standard’ of 4 to 51/2 ton, 3500-gallon capacity, and a later type of 9 ton, 4000-gallon capacity. For the Pacific classes, the coal capacity was increased to 10 tons.
The 4 ton, 3500-gallon tenders were fitted to 563-700, 4027-4556 (4037-46 were fitted with earlier Johnson tenders when built), 4562-4606, 9500-9674.
The 5 ton, 3500-gallon tenders were fitted to 2700-2984.
The 51/2 ton, 3500-gallon tenders were fitted to 900-939, 1045-1199, 5500-51.
The 9 ton, 4000-gallon tenders were fitted to 4658-5499, 5500-51 (as rebuilt), 5552-5742, 6100-70, 6202, 8000-8775.
The 10 ton, 4000-gallon tenders were fitted to 6200-1, 6203-12, 6220-57.
Entirely different designs were produced for post-war locomotives 3000-3161 (4 ton, 3500 gallon), 6400-6527 (4 ton, 3000 gallon).
The L.N.E.R. adopted a G.N. design of 8-wheel tender, of 8 ton, 5000-gallon capacity, with design modifications in later examples, for its Pacific locomotives. The vestibuled corridor tender for non-stop workings had an increased capacity of 9 tons. Latterly this type was attached only to Class A4 locomotives. For its 6-wheeled tenders, this company adopted a Group Standard type, of 71/2 ton, 4200-gallon capacity. A smaller version had a 51/2 ton, 3500-gallon capacity. The former type was normally fitted to classes B1 (Thompson), B17 (Nos 2848-72), D49, J38 (prior to 1931), J39/2, K1 (Peppercorn), K3, O2/3 and V2. The latter was normally used with classes J38 (from 1931), J39/1 and K4.
Class P1 (2393, 2394) was fitted with a unique type of 7 ton, 4700-gallon capacity; these later passed to Class B2 numbers 2815 (later 1615) and 1632. Two more 3500-gallon tenders were built, but with 6/51/2 ton-capacity for Class V4 numbers 3401/2 (later 1700/1).
There were 14 standard B.R. tenders of three basic sizes, the largest of which was the BR1 series. Types BR1, BR1A, BR1G and BR1H had inset coal bunkers, whereas types BR1B, BR1C, BR1D, BR1E, BR1F, BR1J and BR1K had flush sides.
The BR1 type, of 7 ton of coal, 4250-gallon capacity, was attached to:
70000-24, 70030-44, 72000-9, 73000-49
The BR1A type, of 7 ton, 5000-gallon capacity, was attached to:
70025-9, but was also coupled to other locomotives of this class at times.
The BR1B type, of 7 ton, 4725-gallon capacity, was attached to:
73080-9, 73100-9, 73120-34, 73145-71, 75065-79, 76053-69, 92020-9, 92060-6, 92097-9
The BR1C type, similar to the BR1B but of 9 ton capacity, was attached to:
73065-79, 73090-9, 73135-44, 92015-9, 92045-59, 92077-8, 92080-6, 92100-39, 92150-64
The BR1D type of 9 ton, 4725-gallon capacity, was fitted with a steam operated coal pusher and attached to: 70045-54
The BR1E type of 10 ton, 4725-gallon capacity, was attached to 71000 and possibly later to 92150
The BR1F type, the largest, of 7 ton, 5625-gallon capacity, was attached to 73110-9, 92010-4, 92030-44. 92067-76, 92087-96, 92140-9, 92168-92202
The BR1G type, of 7 ton, 5000-gallon capacity, with no water pick-up gear, was attached to:
73050-2, 92000-9, latterly 92079, 92203-50
(It is thought that the tenders of 92079 and 92009 were exchanged, the latter then running with a 1C type.)
The BR1H type, of 7 ton, 4250-gallon capacity, was attached to 73053-64
The BR1J type, of 10 ton, 4325-gallon capacity, was attached to 71000 in 1957/8
The BR1K type, of 9 ton, 4325-gallon capacity, with a Berkley mechanical stoker, was attached to 92165-7
The intermediate-size BR2 type, of 6 ton, 3500-gallon capacity, was fitted to:
The similar BR2A type with a fall-plate was fitted to:
75050-64, 76045-52, 76070-114, 77000-19
The smallest BR3 type, of 4 ton, 3000-gallon capacity, was paired with 78000-64
Ministry of Supply locomotives (later numbers 90000-732, 90750-74) were fitted with 9 ton, 5000-gallon, 8-wheel tenders
COPYRIGHT © R.D.LAKE 2009