BRITISH RAILWAYS 1920 - 1970

 

Home
Up

Welshpool & Llanfair LR 0-6-0T 'The Countess'

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NARROW GAUGE LINES ABSORBED AT OR PRIOR TO 1923

Burton and Ashby Light Railway: 3'6" gauge electric tramway; Ashby-de-la-Zouch-Burton, Leics and Staffs; open 1906-27; owned by the M.R.; 11.5mi

Caldon Low Tramway: 3'6" gauge (from 1849) f; Froghall Wharf-Caldon Low quarries, Staffs; open 1777, as waggonway, acquired by N.S. in 1846, closed c1934; locos: Bagnall, Hughes 0-4-0STs; 3.5mi

Leek and Manifold Valley Light Railway: 2'6" gauge f/p; Waterhouses-Hulme End, Staffs; open 1904-35; locos: Kitson 2-6-4Ts in brown, then N.S. lake, then L.M.S. red livery; worked by the N.S. and purchased by the L.M.S.; 8.25mi

Lynton and Barnstaple Railway: 1'11" gauge f/p; Barnstaple-Lynton and Lynmouth, Devon; open 1898-1935; locos: Manning Wardle 2-6-2Ts and Baldwin 2-4-2T in green livery; purchased by the S.R. in 1923; 19.25mi

Nantlle Tramway: 3'6" gauge horsedrawn f; Pen-yr-Orsedd Quarry-Nantlle, Caernarvon; originally extended to Caernarvon quay via Penygroes but this section was converted to standard gauge and partly realigned in 1867/72; owned by the L.N.W.R. from 1870; open 1828-1963 (in truncated form); c9mi; the quarries were served internally by 2'0" gauge lines

Peak Forest Tramway: 4'2" gauge f plateway; Bugsworth-Dove Holes quarries, Derbyshire; open 1796/1800-1926, acquired by M.S. & L.R. in 1846; horsedrawn and gravity operated, and with inclined plane; 6mi

Vale of Rheidol Light Railway: 1'11" gauge f/p; Aberystwyth-Devils Bridge, Merioneth; open 1902-present; locos: Davies & Metcalfe and G.W.R.(Swindon) 2-6-2Ts. Bagnall 2-4-0T in deep ochre, green, black, G.W.R. green, B.R. green liveries successively; purchased by the Cam. R. in 1913; 11.75mi (Sold to Brecon Mountain R. in 1988)

Welshpool and Llanfair Caereinion Light Railway: 2'6" gauge f/p; Welshpool-Llanfair Caereinion, Montgomeryshire; open 1903-56, closed to p 1931, now preserved; locos: Beyer Peacock 0-6-0Ts; worked by the Cam. R., abs. by the G.W.R. in 1923; 9mi

Wolverton and Stony Stratford Tramway: 3'6" gauge f/p; Wolverton-Stony Stratford, Bucks, with extension to Deanshanger, Northants (open 1888-9); open 1887-1926; locos: Krauss, Green and Brush 0-4-0Ts, Bagnall 0-4-0ST which hauled double-deck tramcars; acquired by the L.N.W.R. in 1919; 4.6mi maximum

Home Up LIGHT RAILWAYS INDEPENDENT Co: A-L NARROW GAUGE

 

COPYRIGHT R.D.LAKE 2009