BRITISH RAILWAYS 1920 - 1970

 

Home
C.Mech.Engnrs

PERSONALITIES            Click for names J - W

Adams, W.: C.M.E. of the N.L. 1858, G.E.R. 1873 and L.S.W.R. 1878-95: 1823-1904

Allan, Alexander: loco designer initially for the L.N.W.R.: 1809-91

Allport, Sir James J.: G.M. of the M.R. 1853-80: 1811-92

Anderson, Sir Robert Rowand: architect of Glasgow Central station (1879)

Andrews, G.T., architect of York old station (1842), Scarborough (1845), Richmond (N. Yorks) (1848) and Hull Paragon (1848) stations; 1805-55

Archbutt, R.C.: C.M.E. of the S.D.J. 1913-30

Armstrong, George: Divisional Loco, C. & W. Supt. of the G.W.R. at Wolverhampton 1864-97; brother of Joseph

Armstrong, John: Divisional Loco, C. & W. Supt. of the G.W.R. in London 1882-1916; son of Joseph

Armstrong, Joseph: Loco, C. & W. Supt. of the G.W.R. 1864-77; his other son Joseph, Junr. was an engineer for the G.W.R. at Swindon

Armstrong, R.J.: Divisional Loco, C. & W. Supt. of the G.W.R. at Worcester 1929-46; son of John

Ashbee, W.N.: architect for G.E.R., rebuilt Norwich Thorpe in 1880s

Aspinall, Sir John A.F.: C.M.E. of the L.Y.R. 1886-99, G.M. of same 1899-1919, later a director; 1851-1937

Baker, W.: architect of Broad Street station (1866) and designer of the Runcorn-Widnes bridge (1869); 1817-78

Barlow, P.W.: developer of circular tunnelling shield which revolutionised tube tunnel construction; the name of his contractor, J.H. Greathead, is usually associated with this shield first used in 1868; 1809-95

Barlow, W.H.: M.R. consultant engineer, designer of St Pancras train shed (1868) and of the second Tay Bridge (1887); 1812-1902

Barnes, F.: architect for the Ipswich and Bury R. stations including Bury St Edmunds (1847)

Barton Wright, W.: C.M.E. of the L.Y.R. 1876-86

Beattie, J.H.: C.M.E. of the L.S.W.R. 1850-71; 1804-71

Beattie, W.G.: C.M.E. of the L.S.W.R. 1871-78; son of J.H. Beattie

Beazley, Samuel: architect of the original Ashford station (c1850), Gravesend Central (1849) and rebuild of London Bridge station (1850)

Beeching, Baron Richard: Chairman of B.R. Board 1963-5; 1913-85

Bell, W.: architect for the N.E.R., built Darlington Bank Top (1887), Stockton on Tees (1893) and Sunderland (1879) stations, the last with William Peachey

Belpaire, Alfred: Belgian designer of the flat-topped firebox, first introduced to Britain c1872; 1820-93

Beyer, C.F.: mechanical head of Sharp Roberts & Co., who joined Peacock to form Beyer Peacock & Co. in 1854; 1813-76

Billinton, L.B.: C.M.E. of the L.B.S.C.R. 1911-22

Blackett, Christopher: co-builder with W. Hedley of 'Puffing Billy' in 1813, one of the earliest successful steam locos to rely on adhesion alone

Bond, R.C.: deputy C.M.E. of the L.M.S., then C.M.E. of B.R. and General Manager of Workshops Division, 1903-80

Bouch, Sir Thomas: civil engineer, designer of the first ill-fated Tay Bridge, 1878, and other viaducts in north-east England (Belah, Deepdale, Hownes Gill, 1858-9; 1822-80

Bowen-Cooke, C.J.: Running Supt. of the L.N.W.R. (southern division), C.M.E. of the L.N.W.R. 1909-20; 1859-1920

Bradshaw, G.: producer of the first railway timetables under various titles, published 1839-1961; 1800-1853

Brassey, T.: contracting railway engineer who worked for Locke; also in West Midlands and Eastern Counties; 1805-70

Brunel, I.K.: first Chief Engineer of the G.W.R. 1833-59, also designed stations e.g. Bristol T.M., Paddington (with M.D. Wyatt), Cirencester (with R.P.Brereton), Box Tunnel, Royal Albert Bridge at Saltash and steamships; 1806-59

Bulleid, O.V.S.: C.M.E. of the S.R. 1937-47; 1882-1970

Bury, E.: Loco. Supt. of the London & Birmingham Railway, designer of 'Bury' type of lightweight loco with bar-frames 1838-46; 1794-1858

Carswell, J.: district engineer to N.B.R. who designed Glasgow Queen Street station (1880)

Chalmers, W.: C.M.E. of the N.B.R. 1919-22

Chaplin, W.J.: Director/Chairman of the L.S.W.R. 1837-58, successfully guided that railway to success in the face of strong competition from the G.W.R.; 1787-1859

Churchill, Viscount: Chairman of the G.W.R. 1908-34

Churchward, G.J.: C.M.E. of the G.W.R. 1902-21, designer of the standard range of G.W.R. steam locos; 1857-1933

Claughton, Sir Gilbert: Chairman of the L.N.W.R. 1911-21

Cockshott, F.P.: Supt. of the Line, G.N. 1865-95, developed the fastest line in the world at that time

Collett, C.B.: C.M.E. of the G.W.R. 1922-41; 1871-1952

Cook, Thomas: developer of excursion train travel, initially for the Temperance Society (in 1841); 1808-92

Cooke, W.F.: co-developer with C. Wheatstone of the electric telegraph in 1837; proposed the block system in 1842; 1806-79

Crampton, T.R.: designer of long low boilered locos and patent holder, his best design was that of a 'stern-wheeler' 4-2-0; 1816-88

Crossley, J.C.: architect of Bath Green Park forebuilding (1870)

Crossley, J.S.: Chief Engineer of the M.R. 1858-1875, supervised construction of the Settle-Carlisle line; 1812-79

Cubitt, Lewis: architect of Dover Town (1843) and King's Cross (1852) station buildings; 1799-1883

Culverhouse, P.E.: Chief Architect to G.W.R. 1929-45, built Cardiff General (1935),  Leamington Spa (1939), Newton Abbott (1927)

Cumming, C.: C.M.E. of the H.R. 1915-23

Cunningham, J.: designer of the original Liverpool Lime Street station (1836) (with G. Stephenson) and Edge Hill, terminus of Liverpool & Manchester R. (1836)

Dawes, W.: architect of Manchester Victoria rebuild of 1909

Dean, W.: C.M.E. of the G.W.R. 1877-1902, guided the railway through the stages of conversion from broad gauge to 'standard gauge'; 1840-1905

Deeley, R.M.: C.M.E. of the M.R. 1903-9

Denison, Sir Edmund B.: promoter and first chairman of the G.N. 1847-64; 1816-1905

Diesel, Dr R.: patented compression-ignition oil-engine in 1894; 1858-1913

Dobson, John: architect of Gateshead (1841) and Newcastle Central (1850) stations; 1787-1865

Driver, C.H.: architect of Kettering (1857), Wellingborough (1857), Bedford Midland Road (1859), Leatherhead (1867) and Boxhill (1877) stations

Drummond, D.: C.M.E. of the N.B.R. 1875-82, of the C.R. 1882-90 and of the L.S.W.R. 1895-1912; 1840-1912

Drummond, P.: Loco, C. & W. Supt. of the H.R. 1897-1911 and of the G. & S.W.R. 1912-8; Peter was the younger brother of Dugald

Dunbar, J.: C.M.E. of the B. & M.R. 1917-23

Edmondson, T.: inventor of the card railway ticket first issued 1838, printing machinery and dating press; initially station-master on the Newcastle & Carlisle R.: 1792-1851

Elliot, Sir John: Chairman of the Railway Executive 1951-3 and of London Transport 1953-9, joined the S.R. in 1925; 1898-1988

Elmslie, E.W.: architect of Great Malvern station (1863)

Fairburn, C.E.: set up E.E. electric traction dept in 1919, C.M.E. of the L.M.S. 1944-5; 1887-1945

Fairlie, R.F.: patent holder for double-boiler articulated loco introduced 1869; 1831-85

Fay, Sir Sam: General Manager of the M.S.W.J.R. 1892-9 and of the G.C. 1902-22, Supt. of the Line, L.S.W.R., in the intervening years; 1856-1953

Fletcher, E.: Loco. Supt. of the N.E.R. 1854-82; 1807-89

Forbes, J.S.: Chairman and Managing Director of the L.C.D.R. 1874-98, successfully guided the company from near-bankruptcy; 1823-1904

Forbes, Sir William: G.M. of the L.B.S.C.R. 1899-1923; a nephew of J.S. Forbes

Foster, J.: architect of Manchester Liverpool Rd station (1830) (Liverpool & Manchester R.)

Fowler, Sir Henry: C.M.E. of the M.R. 1909-22 and of the L.M.S. 1925-30; 1870-1938

Fowler, Sir John: designer of Victoria (L.C.D.R.) (1862), Wolverhampton Low Level (-), Glasgow St Enoch (1879), with James Blair, and Manchester Central (1879) stations; 1817-98

Garratt, H.W.: patent holder for the articulated loco type; 1864-1913

Gibb, Sir George S.: G.M. of the N.E.R. 1891-1906, latterly appointed a director; 1850-1925

de Glehn, A.: locomotive engineer with the Alsatian Mechanical Construction Co. who developed compound expansion in France from 1886

Gooch, Sir Daniel: first Loco. Supt. of the G.W.R. 1837-64, Chairman from 1865; established Swindon Works; 1816-89

Granet, Sir Guy: G.M. of the M.R. 1906-18, Chairman of the L.M.S. 1924-7; 1867-1943

Green, B.: architect for Newcastle and Berwick R.; 1811-58

Gregory, Sir Charles H.: introduced the conventional semaphore signal, on the London and Croydon R. in 1841; 1817-98

Gresley, H. Sir Nigel: Loco, C. & W. Engineer of the G.N. 1911-22, C.M.E. of the L.N.E.R. 1923-41; 1876-1941

Hackworth, Timothy: locomotive engineer who built the first six-coupled loco, the 'Royal George' in 1827 and the 'Sans Pareil' for the Rainhill trials in 1829; 1786-1850

Hamilton, Lord Claud: Chairman G.E.R. 1893-1922; 1843-1925

Hardwick, P.: designer of the Doric Propylaeum (Arch) and the Great Hall (with his son, P.C.) at Euston Station (London & Birmingham R.) in 1847 and of Birmingham Curzon St (1838); 1792-1870

Hawkshaw, Sir John: designer of Charing Cross station (1865) and the train shed at Cannon Street, with E.M. Barry (1866); 1811-91

Hawksworth, F.W.: C.M.E. of the G.W.R. 1941-7, died 1976

Hedley, W.: co-builder with C. Blackett of 'Puffing Billy' in 1813, one of the earliest successful steam locos to rely on adhesion alone; 1779-1843

Heywood, T.E.: C.M.E. of the G.N.S.R. 1914-22

Hill, A.J.: C.M.E. of the G.E.R. 1912-22

Hodgson, R.: Chairman of N.B.R. in phase of expansion 1855-66; 1812-68

Holcroft, H.W.: joined G.W.R. in 1898, later assistant to G.J. Churchward and designer of the G.W.R. Class 4300; design assistant at Wolverhampton, Swindon (G.W.R.) and for the S.E.C.R. from 1914, then S.R., 1882-1973

Holden, J.: Loco, C. & W. Supt. of the G.E.R. 1885-1907; 1837-1925

Holden, S.D.: Loco. C. & W. Supt. of the G.E.R. 1908-12; son of J. Holden

Holmes, M.: C.M.E. of the N.B.R. 1882-1903

Hood, R.J.: engineer who designed Victoria (L.B.S.C.R.) station (1860)

Hudson, George: railway speculator who became, simultaneously, Chairman of the M.R. and others during the 'Railway Mania' of 1845-8; 1800-71

Hughes, G.: C.M.E. of the L.Y.R. in 1904-21, of the L.N.W.R. in 1921-2 and of the L.M.S. in 1923-5; 1865-1945

Huish, Capt. M.: first G.M. of the L.N.W.R. 1846-58; 1808-67

Hunt, H.A.: architect to the N.S. who designed Stoke-on-Trent station (1850)

Hurcomb, C.W.: Chairman of B.T.C. 1947-53; 1883-1975

Hurry Riches, T.: Loco. Supt. of the T.V.R. 1873-1911; his son was Loco. Supt. of the R.R. from 1906

Inglis, Sir James C.: Chief Engineer of the G.W.R. 1892-1904, G.M. from 1903-11; 1851-1911

Ivatt, H.A.: Loco. Supt. of the G.N. 1896-1911, introduced the first British 'Atlantic' type; 1851-1923

Ivatt, H.G.: C.M.E. of the L.M.S. 1945-7; son of H.A. Ivatt

Johnson, J.: C.M.E. of the G.N.S.R. 1890-4

Johnson, S.W.: Loco. Supt. of the G.E.R. 1866-73 and of the M.R. 1873-1903; 1831-1912

Johnston, R.E.: architect of Birkenhead Woodside (1878) and Town (c1890) stations

Jones, D.: Loco. Supt. of the H.R. 1870-96, introduced the first British 4-6-0; 1834-1906

Joy, D.: consulting engineer who invented the Joy radial valve gear in 1879; 1825-1903

Kennard, T.W.: designer of the lattice beam, the Warren Triangular Girder, used in the construction of the Crumlin Viaduct (T.V.R.) in 1857; 1825-93

Kirtley, M.: Loco. Supt. of the M.R. 1844-73; 1813-73

Kirtley, W.: C.M.E. of the L.C.D.R. 1874-98, nephew of M. Kirtley

Lentz, H.: introduced poppet valves in Germany in 1905; 1859-1944

Locke, J.: railway engineer for the Grand Junction R. (responsible for the layout of Crewe works and town), L.S.W.R. and others, builder of Dutton and Dinting Vale viaducts; 1805-60

Lundie, C: G.M. of R.R. 1861-1903; 1815-1908

McAlpine, Sir Robert: contractor, built several Scottish lines including Glasgow District Subway. Used concrete widely after 1892, as for Glenfinnan viaduct; 1847-1934

McConnell, J.F.: Loco. Supt. of the L.N.W.R., Southern Division 1846-64, conducted superheating experiments from 1852; 1815-83

McIntosh, J.F.: Loco, C. & W. Supt. of the C.R. 1895-1914; 1846-1918

Manson, J.: Loco. Supt. of the G.N.S.R. in 1883-91 and of the G. & S.W.R. in 1891-1912; 1846-1935

Marsh, D. Earle: C.M.E. of the L.B.S.C.R. 1905-11

Maunsell, R.E.L.: C.M.E. of the S.E.C.R. 1913-22 and of the S.R. 1923-37; 1868-1944

Miller, J.: architect of Troon (Cal.R.), Glasgow Central, St Enoch Subway (1896), and Wemyss Bay stations.

Milne, Sir James: G.M. of the G.W.R. 1929-47; 1883-1958

Missenden, Sir Eustace J.: G.M. of the S.R. 1942-7; 1886-1973

Mitchell, J.: engineer who constructed the H.R., opened to Inverness in 1863; 1803-83

Mocatta, D.: architect for the London & Brighton R. who built Brighton station (1841) and the Ouse Viaduct (with J.U. Rastrick, 1840)

Moon, Sir Richard: Chairman of the L.N.W.R. 1861-91, developed the 'Premier Line'; 1814-99

Moore, Thomas: architect of Monkwearmouth station (1848)

Neele, G.P.: Supt. of the Line, L.N.W.R. 1862-95; 1825-1921

Newlands, A.: Engineer-in-Chief of the H.R. 1913-22 and Chief Engineer of the L.M.S. 1927-34

Oakley, Sir Henry: G.M. of the G.N. 1870-98

Paget, Sir Cecil: General Supt. of the M.R. 1907-19, commanded the R.O.D. in France in World War 1

Park, J.C.: C.M.E. of the N.L. 1873-93

Parker, T.: C.M.E. of the M.S. & L.R. 1886-93

Paxton, Sir Joseph: architect of the original Rowsley station (1849) and of the Crystal Palace

Peacock, R.: Loco. Supt. of the M.S. & L.R., resigned 1854 to form Beyer Peacock & Co.

Penson, T.M.: architect of Shrewsbury (1848) and Gobowen (1849) stations

Peppercorn, A.H.: C.M.E. of the L.N.E.R. 1948-9

Pettigrew, W.F.: Loco. C. & W. Supt. of the F.R. 1897-1918

Pickersgill, W.: C.M.E. of the G.N.S.R. 1894-1914 and of the C.R. 1914-23

Pole, Sir Felix J.C.: G.M. of the G.W.R. 1921-9; 1877-1956

Pollitt, H.: C.M.E. of the M.S. & L.R. 1893-7 and of the G.C. 1898-1900

Pollitt, Sir William: G.M. of M.S. & L.R. 1886-1902; 1842-1906

Priestman, W.: introduced the first oil-engined loco, on the N.E.R. dock lines in 1892

Pritchett, J.P.: architect of Huddersfield (1850) station

Prosser, Thomas: architect for the N.E.R. who built York (1877) new through station and the porte-rochere at Newcastle Central (1863)

Pullman, G.M.: U.S. coach builder who introduced luxury parlour cars to British railways (initially to the M.R. in 1874); 1831-97

Ramsay, W.M.: designer of experimental steam turbine locos introduced in 1910 and 1921 (firstly in collaboration with Sir Hugh Reid of N.B. Loco. Co.)

Ramsbottom, J.: C.M.E. of the L.N.W.R. 1862-71; 1814-97

Rastrick, J.U.: engineer of the London & Brighton R., with David Mocatta designed the Ouse Viaduct (1840); 1780-1856

Raven, Sir Vincent L.: C.M.E. of the N.E.R. 1910-22, pioneered cab signalling methods; 1858-1934

Reid, R.W.: Carriage Supt. of the M.R. and L.M.S.R. who introduced mass-production system for coach building to the L.M.S.R.

Reid, W.P.: C.M.E. of the N.B.R. 1903-19

Riddles, R.A., C.B.E.: Director of Transportation M. of S. 1939-43, C.M.E. of B.R. 1948-53; 1893-1983

Robertson (Baron), General Sir Brian: Chairman B.T.C. 1953-61; 1896-1974

Robertson, H.: civil engineer associated with lines in Shrewsbury area who built Chirk and Dee viaducts; 1816-88

Robinson, J.G.: C.M.E. of the G.C. 1902-23; 1856-1943

Russell, C,: Chairman of the G.W.R. 1839-55 during the 'battle of the gauges'

Sacre, C.R.: Engineer and Loco. Supt. M.S. & L.R. 1859-86; 1831-89

Saunders, C.A.: Secretary and General Supt. of the Line, G.W.R. 1840-63; 1795-1864

Saxby, J.: joint founder of the signalling firm, Saxby & Farmer Ltd., constructed the first successful interlocking frame, patented in 1856; 1821-1913

Schmidt, W.: introduced smoketube superheating in Germany in 1897; 1858-1924

Scott, Sir George Gilbert: architect of the terminal building at St Pancras (M.R.) in 1868-73

Scott, J.R.: architect to L.S.W.R., built Victory Arch at Waterloo, and Surbiton station (1937)

Scotter, Sir Charles: G.M., latterly director and Chairman of L.S.W.R. 1885-1910; 1835-1910

Siemens, Werner von: designer of the first practical electric loco in 1879

Sinclair, R.: Loco. Supt. of C.R. 1847 then Eastern Counties R. (later G.E.R.) 1856-66; 1817-98

Smith, George: designer of the first London Bridge station (1836)

Smith, W.M.: designer of compound loco for N.E.R. with one inside high-pressure cylinder and two outside low-pressure cylinders, chief draughtsman to the Worsdell brothers; his design was adopted by S.W. Johnson (M.R.) in 1902; 1842-1906

Spagnoletti, C.E.: G.W.R. Telegraph Supt.; developer of 'Lock and Block' working in Britain; 1832-1915

Spooner, C.E.: 'Manager and Clerk' of the Festiniog R., introduced steam traction on the narrow gauge line, 1863; 1818-89

Stalbridge, Richard de Aquila Grosvenor: director latterly Chairman L.N.W.R. 1870-1911; 1837-1912

Stamp, Sir Josiah C.: President of the executive then Chairman L.M.S 1926-41; 1880-1941

Stanier, Sir William A.: C.M.E. of the L.M.S. 1932-44, formerly with the G.W.R.; 1876-1965

Stephens, Col. H.F.: manager of several light railways (E.K.R., K.E.S.R., Selsey Tramway, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire L.R., W.C. & P.R.) and engineer to B.P. & G.V.R., P.D.S.W.R., Selsey Tramway and Welsh Highland R., also introduced back-to-back petrol railcars; 1866-1931

Stephenson, G.: engineer to the Stockton & Darlington R., the Liverpool & Manchester R. and the North Midland R., developed the steam locomotive; 1781-1848

Stephenson, R.: engineer to the London & Birmingham R. and the Chester & Holyhead R., designer of the Britannia, Royal Border and High Level Tyne bridges, builder of the 'Rocket' loco (winner of the Rainhill trials) and founder of the firm of Robert Stephenson & Co. 1823; son of George; 1803-59

Stirling, J.: C.M.E. of the G. & S.W.R. 1866-78 and of the S.E.R. 1878-98; brother of P. Stirling

Stirling, P.: Locomotive Engineer of the G. & S.W.R. 1853-66 and of the G.N. 1866-95; 1820-95

Stroudley, W.: Loco. Supt. of the H.R. 1865-9 and of the L.B.S.C.R. 1870-89; 1833-89

Stuart, Akroyd: builder of the first compression-ignition 'diesel' loco in 1890, produced later by Ruston & Hornsby

Sykes, W.R.: signalling and telegraph developer, patented the 'Lock and Block' system, developed electromechanical signalling and founded the firm of W.R. Sykes Interlocking Signal Co. Ltd.; 1840-1917

Tattersall, A.E.: signal engineer for a number of railways, developed relay interlocking on the L.N.E.R. (in post 1928-47)

Thompson, E.: C.M.E. of the L.N.E.R. 1941-6; 1881-1954

Thompson, Francis: architect of station buildings for the North Midland R., including Derby (1840) and Ambergate (c1840), and the North Wales coastal line c1840, including Chester (1848) and for the Eastern Counties R. including Cambridge (1845); 1808-95

Thornton, Sir Henry W.: G.M. of the G.E.R. 1914-22, developed intensive suburban services; 1871-1933

Tite, Sir William: architect for the L.S.W.R. who built stations including Nine Elms terminus (1838), Southampton Terminus (1840) and Gosport (1842), also Carlisle (1848) and Perth (1848); 1798-1873

Tress, W.: architect of Battle (1852) station

Trevithick, F.: engineer for the L.N.W.R. 1846-59; son of Richard

Trevithick, R.: pioneered steam winding engines in Cornish tin-mines and built the first steam road carriage and the Pen-y-darren steam loco of 1804; 1771-1833

Trubshaw, C.: architect for M.R. 1874 (Northern division)-1905; built Midland Hotel, Manchester, Hellifield and Sheffield stations; 1841-1917

Turnbull, Sir Robert: Supt. of the Line, L.N.W.R. 1895-1914

Tyer, E.: signal engineer who developed the block system and, in 1878, invented the electric token; 1830-1912

Urie, R.W.: C.M.E. of the L.S.W.R. 1912-22

Vignoles, C.B.: railway engineer and designer of the flat-bottom rail (Vignoles section); 1793-1875

Volk, Magnus: builder of the first successful British electric traction unit, 1883.

Wainwright, H.S.: C.M.E. of the S.E.C.R. 1899-1913; 1864-1925

Walker, C.V.: designer of the single stroke bell system for signalling; 1812-82

Walker, Sir Herbert A.: G.M. of the L.S.W.R. 1912-22 and of the S.R. 1923-37; 1868-1949

Watkin, Sir Edward: Chairman of the S.E.R. 1866-94, of the M.S. & L.R. 1864-94 and of the Met R., one-time director of the G.E.R. and G.W.R. and Chairman of the first Channel Tunnel Company; 1819-1901

Walschaerts, E.: inventor of radial valve motion, 1844; 1820-1901

Webb, F.W.: C.M.E. of the L.N.W.R. 1871-1903; 1836-1906

Wedgwood, Sir Ralph L.: G.M. of the N.E.R. and Chief G.M. of the L.N.E.R. 1923-39; 1875-1956

Westinghouse, G.: U.S. air brake developer; his patented system (1869) was adopted by the C.R., G.E.R., L.B.S.C.R., N.E.R., N.B. and some of the Welsh lines; 1846-1914

Whale, G.: C.M.E. of L.N.W.R. 1903-9; 1842-1910

Whitelaw, W.: Chairman of H.R. 1902-12, N.B.R. 1912-23, L.N.E.R. 1923-38; 1868-1948

Whitelegg, R.H.: C.M.E. of the L.T.S. 1910-2 and of the G. & S.W.R. 1918-23; son of T. Whitelegg

Whitelegg, T.: C.M.E. of the L.T.S. 1880-1910

Wilson, Edward: designer of Liverpool Street station (first part: 1875)

Wood, Sancton: architect for the G.E.R., built Bury St Edmunds station; also Stamford Town (1848) and Tunbridge Wells Central (1845) stations; 1816-86

Worsdell, T.W.: Loco. Supt. of the G.E.R. 1881-5 and of the N.E.R. 1885-90; 1838-1916

Worsdell, W.: Loco. Supt. of the N.E.R. 1890-1910; brother of T.W. Worsdell; 1850-1920

Wyatt, Sir Matthew Digby: designer of the main shed at Bristol Temple Meads (1870)

Home C.Mech.Engnrs

 

COPYRIGHT R.D.LAKE 2009